|Relatives||Father: Unnamed Father|
Mother: Unnamed Mother
Grandmother: Unnamed Grandmother
Cousin: Sentarou Shibata
|Anime Debut||From Beyond the Twilight|
|Japanese Voice Actors||Mamiko Noto|
|English Voice Actors||Brina Palencia|
Ai Enma is the main protagonist of the series, and is the one known as the "Jigoku Shoujo", referred to in the English version as "Hell Girl". She performs as a recurring character in all the three seasons of Jigoku Shoujo, though she plays a slightly smaller role through the later part of Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae. She is played by Sayuri Iwata in the live-action drama.
Due to the nature of her duties in which she is required to carry out, Ai can also be associated as the the anti-heroine of the series. She almost never exposes signs of being moralistic or idealistic, and occasionally, opposes even those who are attempting to stop her for a good cause.
Ai has long, straight black hair in a hime-cut that she frequently keeps untied. Her skin is significantly pale, and she possesses red eyes, although they were originally brown before she was buried alive. Ai also has light pink lips. She maintains a thirteen-year old girl physical appearance, and has remained as such for well over four-hundred years.
Her usual attire consists of a dominantly black seifuku, similar to Japanese school uniform, with some parts colored white and red. However, while performing the act of taking someone to Hell, Ai always wears a kimono instead, which is dominantly black, with either temari, which are hand-woven thread balls, or floral design. Both patterns alternate back and forth through the series.
Ai wears a mask of cold personality. Even in situations in which are emotion-evoking, she doesn't appear moved in the least. Additionally, Ai is oddly silent and serious. She seems to only chat when the need arises, rarely speaking simply for the sake of it. In the event that Ai does talk out of ordinary circumstances, it is about something in which she believes is necessary for someone to know, or to correct somebody where needed. The main reason for her introverted personality is suspected to be a result of her having grown used to silence.
As the series goes on, Ai does become slightly more expressive, and a tad less cold, serious, and silent. However, the difference is extremely minor. Interactions from her side are a little more varied, and less grim later on, especially toward her clients and victims. In some scenarios, Ai actually goes to the lengths of mocking clients a bit like her servants before sending them to Hell. She has also increased her attention and shown concern towards the more innocent clients and victims. An example of this would include the time when she reassured a lady who was requesting her to have Ren, one of Ai's companions, watch over her daughter after she willingly ended her life so that her daughter didn't have to be sent to Hell.
It is later implied by Wanyuudou that Ai still has her feelings, but just chooses not to express them much. It is revealed later on that she had been ordered to close off her emotions by the Master of Hell. However, in rare, but possible, instances, Ai has defied that order and used her emotions to guide her actions, as opposed to only following the duties given to her. The first of such series of occurrences is near the end of the first season, when she enhances through her actions the extent to which Sentarou Shibata's actions had hurt her. In trying to take revenge on Sentarou's living descendants - Tsugumi Shibata and Hajime Shibata, Ai's true hatred comes forth. She urges Tsugumi in many forms to make her send her father, Hajime, to Hell, although her attempts were deemed unsuccessful. She also burns down the temple which Sentarou had built while shedding tears, which is a sign of bearing strong emotions, although it is unclear what Ai's motives behind her performance may have been. One such time in which Ai is noted to be able to have feelings, but not express or act on them, is when Hone Onna mentioned that when Ai was being forced to send an innocent person to hell on a certain day due to her duties, she was silently screaming in her heart for having to do it.
Before Jigoku ShoujoEdit
Ai is introduced as the "Hell Girl", living with her grandmother in a place frozen in time that basks in an eternal sunset. Through an old computer inside their house, Ai is able to receive the names that the clients have typed on the Hell Correspondence website at midnight. In the event that the scarlet thread is untied from the straw doll's neck, a covenant is established, and Ai delivers revenge for the clients, accompanied by her companions: Wanyuudou, Ren, and Hone Onna.
Formerly, Ai was an average human girl, living in a remote village near the mountains. She was frequently bullied by the villagers for her strange personality, and only had her cousin, Sentarou, as a friend. At the age of seven, Ai was selected to be the sacrifice to the Mountain God, but was unintentionally spared when her parents hid her away deep within the mountains, where only Sentarou would secretly visit her to bring her food. Eventually discovered and violently brought back to the village, Ai and her parents were thrown into a deep hole to be sacrificed. There, they were buried alive, with Sentarou being forced to act as the first one to shovel mud down on them. Some of the mud hit Ai's eyes, and transformed them into a scarlet color.
Later, Ai escaped from grave and began to exact her revenge, burning the entire village to the ground in her wrath. Her task of fulfilling other peoples' vengeance and ferrying people to Hell is her punishment; a duty which she has performed for four-hundred years after that incident. A Spider, whom is later revealed to be the Master of Hell, resurrects her, and makes a pact with her: in exchange for her parents not being sent to Hell, Ai must act as the deliverer of people's hatred and vengeance. In order to serve these tasks, the Master of Hell demands that Ai forget her own hatred, numbing herself to the sufferings of others, and becoming a mere observer of any happenings. If she didn't accept this punishment, the souls of her parents would have to forever wander in Hell, lost for eternity. Having no other choice, Ai agrees with the Master of Hell and becomes the "Hell Girl".
In Jigoku ShoujoEdit
- Ai has shown the ability to hurl large, deadly blasts of black-colored energy. This is first demonstrated when she meets face-to-face with the Shibatas, having remembered her past and hatred.
- She can teleport from one place to another. Throughout the series, Ai appears out of nowhere, therefore startling her clients.
- Able to take the lives away of her clients' tormenters, Ai can do so without necessarily making any physical contact to them, or damaging them physically. After terrorizing them with her illusions, she takes their lives away as the floral designs in her kimono wash over her victims. The victim appears to dissipate, afterward.
- Ai appears to be invulnerable to harm to some degree, as shown when Jiru Du Ronfēru telekinetic-ally hurls her around, and throws her against the walls, and later on, also sets her on fire, but Ai doesn't reveal any feelings of pain. However, this could easily be because Jiru was actually giving off illusions, and she instead has the ability to not be affected by illusions. This is further supported by the fact that when she got kicked in the stomach by Yuuna Serizawa, she was injured, and continued to feel the pain for a while after that. This, however, can be counter-argued that this could simply have been happening because she was using Yuzuki's body at the moment rather than her own.
- She seems to have the ability to possess others, but considering the fact that there has only been one case to argue this, it is difficult to say for sure whether it is her ability or not. The only event where Ai displayed this was when she was physically dead for some time and she possessed the body of Yuzuki Mikage in order to have a vessel to perform her duties as the "Hell Girl". Later on, after the Gate to Hell was opened for a while during the Six-Mon Lantern festival, she left Yuzuki's body, and retrieved control of her own physical body, as if she was resurrected.
- Ai is capable of creating large, intricate illusions, in which she often does to frighten her victims before taking them to Hell. She also creates illusions at other times, like when trying to convince Tsugumi Shibata to send her father to hell.
- At one point, Ai has displayed the ability to show someone the future of a grudge, as she showed Yuzuki Mikage, in Episode 16 of Mitsuganae. She also has the ability to show someone the past of a person, which Ai has performed on multiple occasions, first in the first season, and second in Futakomori. These abilities may be limited to some degree though, as Ai was unable to predict her confrontation with Jiru Du Ronfēru.
- Resurrection itself is an ability of Ai, as shown when she was buried by the villagers, and managed to rise from the dead to set her village on fire. Also, during the Six-Mon Lantern festival, she may have resurrected herself, though then the question would remain as to why she didn't revive herself until that point.
- Ai also has the power to create fire, which she has only used on two occasions. The first time it was shown, she burned her home village down to the ground with a wave of her hand. The other time, a similar ability was shown was when she created a ball of energy or fire, and used it to create a blast of fire to destroy the temple that Sentarou built. It seems that she creates fire, or perhaps she maintains the ability to create fire only when she gets emotionally-evoked, usually with anger.
- Ai was physically injured every season, once in Futakomori, and twice in Mitsuganae, and the first season each:
- In the first season, she was beaten up by the villagers of her village when she was alive.
- Later on, in the first season, she was thrown around through Jiru Du Ronfēru's telekinetic abilities in the episode Jigoku Shoujo Versus Jigoku Shounen. However, she showed no sign of pain or resistance.
- In Futakomori, she was beaten to death again by some of the individuals of Lovely Hills.
- In Mitsuganae, she was kicked in the stomach in the episode known as My Teacher.
- Furthermore, in Mitsuganae, Ai was hit in the stomach with a dark bolt of energy fired by Yuzuki Mikage.
- Ai and Sentarou has been hinted to have had romantic feelings for each other multiple times.
- Ai has been shown to be able to play flutes, though their only use which happened before sending someone to Hell raises doubts as to whether it was just an illusion or not.